DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER: I do not attempt to be polite or partisan in my articles, merely truthful. If you are a partisan and believe that the letter after the name of a politician is more important then their policies, I suggest that you stop reading and leave this site immediately--there is nothing here for you.

Modern American politics are corrupt, hyper-partisan, and gridlocked, yet the mainstream media has failed to cover this as anything but politics as usual. This blog allows me to post my views, analysis and criticisms which are too confrontational for posting in mainstream outlets.

I am your host, Josh Sager--a progressive activist, political writer and occupier--and I welcome you to SarcasticLiberal.blogspot.com

Friday, October 7, 2011

Music At Occupy Boston

Yesterday (10/6/11) AT Occupy Boston we had several musical performances that livened up the day. Unfortunately I had to leave early, but I did take several pictures of what I could before I did:

Musician Amanda Palmer with her ukulele.

Drums, cymbals, bells, and singing by an ex-Vietnam war protester.

While I was not there for it, there was also a hip-hop show scheduled after the ukulele one.

I think that the inclusion of music into the Occupy Protest movements, whether in Boston or any other city, is not only a good idea because it keeps the protesters entertained but also because it makes our presence known. We can maximize the impact of our occupation by increasing our visibility at all times. When people on the street don't hear our slogans, they should be hearing our music. By constantly making some type of noise we can prevent ourselves from becoming simply part of the Dewey Square scenery. Think back to when you are walking down the street and you come across either somebody shouting or a sidewalk musician. You notice them far more than any other member of the crowd because the human brain is wired to respond to any deviation from normal patterns. Having various music and protest slogans act as methods to draw far more attention than if we were to simply camp out at Dewey Square in number.


As a side note, we now have a Mahatma Gandhi statue at the entrance to the Occupy Boston camp. This statue is on loan from a MA Abbey and we thank them for loaning it to us. I think that we should use this statue as a reminder to continue to practice the ideals of NONVIOLENT RESISTANCE no matter how frustrated we may get about politics.

No comments:

Post a Comment