DISCLAIMER

DISCLAIMER: I do not attempt to be polite or partisan in my articles, merely truthful. If you are a partisan and believe that the letter after the name of a politician is more important then their policies, I suggest that you stop reading and leave this site immediately--there is nothing here for you.

Modern American politics are corrupt, hyper-partisan, and gridlocked, yet the mainstream media has failed to cover this as anything but politics as usual. This blog allows me to post my views, analysis and criticisms which are too confrontational for posting in mainstream outlets.

I am your host, Josh Sager--a progressive activist, political writer and occupier--and I welcome you to SarcasticLiberal.blogspot.com

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Super-congress Flaw

The recent debt ceiling bill created a new committee composed of 12 politicians (3 Dems and Reps from the House and the Senate) that will propose a defecit reduction plan that will be sent to an up or down vote. Now, this committee is balanced in partisanship and gives equal power to all sides. The parties will pick their best and brightest to get together and decide on a rational solution to the long term debt solution. The discussion of this group will be transparent and there will be no way for lobbyists to interfere with policy making. This committee will also create peace in the middle east and cure cancer by sheer force of discusion.

This entire plan is a disaster for several reasons:

  1. It assumes that both parties care equally about the success of negotiations. The Republicans will never move an inch even to push the country out of the way of a speeding train unless all of their demands are met. The recent hostage taking tactics of the Republicans are antithetical to debate in a committee because the Democrats will blink first.
  2. Lobbying groups are already salivating at the thought of influencing this small and powerful group of politicians. Bribing 7 committee members is a whole lot easier than hundreds of politicians.
  3. I seriously doubt there will be transparency in the debates
  4. The entire primes of cutting spending is flawed when we are in recession. Most economists agree that what we need is more spending, not huge cuts.
The political ploy created by this debt ceiling crisis's solution can only have one conclusion: The result will be a  regressive bill that harms the poor, doesn't increase taxes, and cut entitlement programs.

The Sarcastic Liberal


1 comment:

  1. Very well done. I just want to encourage you to keep writing.
    I also registered for the e-mail follow. I'm really digging this spot,dude.
    I saw you on Huffington,and sometimes the baggers are too much. I will be coming back here,and I'll tell my friends too.

    ReplyDelete